There are many ways you can D.I.Y. with washi tape. From making wall decals to sprucing up your gift favor packaging to decorating cake pop sticks, the possibilities are endless. Here is an easy tutorial on how to make easy & adorable cupcake toppers.
- Baker’s Twine (or any cotton string will work)
- 4 Toothpicks (or two short wooden BBQ skewers)
- Washi tape colors of choice – We used our Summer Collection in this tutorial.
- Glue (not needed if using BBQ skewers instead of toothpicks)
- Take your twine and cut off a piece of about 3 inches long (or as long as you’d like)
- Use your scissors to cut a piece of tape 1-1.5 inches long and fold over twine. Make sure the twine is in the middle of the tape
- Repeat with the other styles of tape. Make as many or little flags as you’d like
- Glue the toothpicks together to create 2 longer toothpicks (skip if you are using BBQ skewers)
- Cut out a triangle with the point away from the twine to create a pennant flag.
- Repeat with other flags
- Once you have all the flags cut, tie each end of the strings to the top of the toothpicks or BBQ skewers
- Cut off excess twine.
Now you have unique cupcake toppers to complement your delicious cupcakes!
- Before cutting your washi tape into triangle flags, draw them out with a pencil. This will help prevent making the wrong cut.
- Use strong glue such as wood glue or hot glue (be careful!) to adhere the toothpicks to each other.
- You can use this tutorial to create a pennant flag cake topper. Just use a longer piece of string, standard sized BBQ skewers, and create more flags!
- Coordinate your pennant flag colors with our cupcake wrappers.